Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Comment Controversy

I first started reading blogs years ago. One of the first and best blogs I've found is Vox Day. He's a columnist for World Net Daily who bills himself as a Christian Libertarian. Agree or disagree, he's a pretty sharp guy and has a perspective you won't find anywhere else.Today's post is about comment boxes.

For myself, I like comment boxes. I've found the comments section of several blogs to be more interesting and entertaining than the posts themselves. I find it a bit pretentious that some blog authors want only "serious" discussions in their comment section. The internet is for everybody. Intellectuals, trolls and all those in between. Freedom of speech not only accepts the comments of idiots, it requires them. How would anyone know the difference between good and bad ideas if only one set of ideas are heard?

Communication is more than just sending a message. A message is only a sender and a receiver. Communication requires the receiver to respond, either in the comment box, or leaving comments on the senders blog. Finding like minded people as well as people to have disagreements with is the whole point of blogging. Identifying idiots is just an added bonus.

2 comments:

http://texex-xpress.blogspot.com/ said...

I linked back here from your comments over on my blog and it's a quite refreshing find.

You're right on here and I wish I had said what you did; darn it! Blogs are the greatest thing for the comman man since moveable type (which the Chinese invented way before the Eurocentrics admit).

Unfortunately you now have me hooked as a reader. And who knows? I might just overcome my shyness and post a time or three. heh heh heh...

Ron said...

Zeks, Mojo, and Tex, Oh My!