Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wild horse photography

I have a new post at This is Reno about wild horses.

The Misfits of Eagle Valley

Coming in contact with wild horses has been an education. Part of that continuing education not mentioned in the post is how to get a decent picture of them. You never know where they're going to be or how many you'll see.

After taking a lot of pictures of little dark spots on the hillside, I decided to just wait until I happen upon them when they are near the road. Stopping does no good though as they are very skittish, so I'm now trying just slowing down and aiming my camera out the window. Here is a picture of my first attempt at a quick drive-by wild horse action photo:

me

Staying on the road, downshifting, rolling down the window and getting my camera ready all at the same time is pretty tricky. But, I have a system now so hopefully I'll do better in the future. Of course, the one time I thought I had a good one, they were on the wrong side of the road and I was aiming into the sun.


wild horses 1

Most of them are dark brown and black, which doesn't help either. In any case, I'll be posting more photo's of them here as I go along.

No comments: